Read below for prizes and details
In these final weeks of summer, when the days are long, the sun is fat, and idleness blooms in the withering heat, we propose a challenge, something to do with those hot, restless hours. Write us a short story, no more than a 1,000 words inspired by these Dog Days, these days of affairs (think Gatsby’s blue gardens), of tragic love (think Romeo & Juliet), of erotic nights (Think Atonement), of hot hotels (think E.B. White’s This is New York), of … back to school commercials (think JC Penny). As Plath put it, “…the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time.”
We – that is The Standard, our friends at Warby Parker, who know a thing about summer reading, The Paris Review, PEN, and author Hettie Jones – want you to capture this last hurrah of heat for a chance to win prizes. Keep reading …
From Top Left Clockwise: Still from Swimming Pool (2003) // Summer reading on the Riviera, 1953 // Still from Baz Luhrmann’s forthcoming The Great Gatsby with Leo and Carey Mulligan // Keira Knightly looking very period in Atonement (2007)
- What You Win…
- • The five winners will be published in a compendium & placed in all Standard Hotel guest rooms, the Warby Parker HQ Showroom & the Warby Parker Readeries in Miami & LA.
- • Five winning stories to be published on StandardCulture.com
- • Two free pairs of Warby Parker glasses
- • Complimentary copy of Object Lessons: The Paris Review Presents the Art of the Short Story
- • Complimentary subscription to The Paris Review.
• GRAND PRIZE WINNER: 3 night stay at The Standard Spa, Miami Beach over Miami Book Fair in November (Excludes incidentals) or at a preferred Standard in LA or NY (Subject to availability. Excludes incidentals).
- Who’s Judging?
- • Jakab Orsos, Director of PEN American Center’s World Voices Festival of Literature
- • Lorin Stein, Editor, The Paris Review
- • Hettie Jones, Writer & Professor, author of How I Became Hettie Jones a memoir of the “Beat Scene” of the 50s & 60s.
- Submission Requirements:
- • Max 1,000 words of short fiction.
- • Previously unpublished (or will remain unpublished until December 2012.)
- • Vigorous, concise, elegant proses
- • There is no fee for submission.
- • No attachments please. Paste your copy into an email and send to: StorySubmissions@standardhotel.com
- • The author’s name must not appear on any page, but please include your email at the top of the email.
- • Do not include an author’s note, bio, or acknowledgement.
- • Revisions will not be accepted after manuscripts have been received.
- • Submissions to other publications are allowed, but contestants are asked to notify the contest coordinator if a manuscript has been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- • Manuscript submissions will be accepted from August 22nd to September 23rd, 2012 (11:59pm).
- • Manuscripts received after September 23rd, 2012 cannot be considered.
- • Winners will be announced November 5th, 2012
- • In English